Don't Have an Account?
Sign Up to Save Favorite Listings, Save Searches & More...
11 Easy upgrades that add value to your home!
by Kayla Wilson
on Wednesday, April 1st, 2020 at 8:26pm
Everyone wants to get the most out of their home when they sell, below are some things that cost little but can improve home resale value, without breaking the bank, any of these diy projects can be done over a weekend in preparation of getting the most value from the sale of their home. Not every project has to be big (or extremely expensive) to add value to your home. These done-in-a-weekend projects, for example, are high in return.
1. Improvingdrainage in your yard can up the value of your home. Changing the drainage in your yard with native plants can
nurture the land in your yard and protect the environment by channeling rain water and runoff from gutters into a rain garden planted with deep-rooted, colorful native plants
2. Attic insulation remains at the top of the list on a national average with a 107 percent cost recoup, according to Remodeling Magazine. It's the only project that recoups the cost and adds to the resale value.
3. Replacing a garage door is big for curb appeal and it’s also big on it ability to recoup the cost of the project. A garage door replacement is one of the cheaper projects with an average cost of $1,749 but it also returns an average of $1,345 in resale value.
4.Smart devices are infiltrating homes at increasing rates. Statista, a market research firm found that 33 % of homes have one connected device and that number could rise to 60% by 2021. These smart devices can even detect leaks in your water heater.
5. Tiling a back-splash above the counter is one of the easiest ways to upgrade an old, tired kitchen on a tight budget. You can choose from the vast array of handsome ceramic tiles available, including easy-to-install square ones or more difficult mosaic tiles.
6. Sanding hardwood floors might seem like a pros-only project. It's a big job that creates big disruptions in your household. And then there's that big, scary sanding machine. But it's really not that difficult, and can refresh and extend the life of your hardwood floors.
7. Updated house numbers add polish and shine. Replace shabby or dated-looking numbers with ones made of brass, aluminum or stainless steel. They’ll look best if the finish matches that of the light fixture and door hardware. Buy individual numbers or custom plaques. You can buy do-it-yourself address plaque kits from home centers, hardware stores and online retailers.
8. Paint a Room choose a paint color and give a room a fresh look. If you have a few days off strung together, painting is a quick project to complete, so you can get things back in order ASAP, keep in mind that painting a full room only benefits you if the patching out weighs the color of the room so dont go patching crazy then worry about painting a whole house which a buyer is likely to do so anyways
9. Granite bathroom, you've long wanted the elegance of natural stone in your home, consider a new granite bathroom vanity top, which is a great, affordable way to get it. You can now find granite tops at Lowe's, Home Depot and other home centers. Prices range from $150 to $450 depending on the size. Complete this bath makeover with a new faucet and mirror, and you'll still keep the price under $500 anyways.
10. Add Hardware/Paint Cabinets If you have basic builder grade cabinets and drawers, chances are they don’t have hardware other than the hinges. Depending on your choice of hardware and number of cabinets, the cost is minimal with a high ROI. Additionally painting cabinets is a simple, easy, and cost-effective way to give your kitchen a much-needed update adding hardware and a fresh coat of paint or stain to your kitchen cabinets will instantly update the room.
11. Update light fixtures each light fixture replacement cost anywhere between $50-$150 each but completely updates each room. Bonus if you can match your hardware and light fixtures.
Home renovations are a great way to add value to your home, before spending any money consult with your local realtor on what home improvements in you neighborhood will yield the greatest return, keeping resale value in mind when making upgrades. When upgrading choose the home improvement that best benefit your home and neighborhood. With these easy upgrades that can be done weekend to weekend, your property value will increase with these changes. Not only is there more curb appeal, by looking newer and cleaner, but by appealing to more buyers there is more competition, which can increases the price. I hope that you learned something and if you have any questions please feel free to email me.